July 1st - Happy Canada Day

Well, once again, here we are at Canada's birthday.

Counting back to the date when the British provinces formed a federation in 1867, we're now celebrating the 141st "Dominion Day."

We chose to change the name of the holiday to the more popular "Canada Day," in 1982. For Quebecers, this has always been known as the "la FĂȘte du Canada."

As for me, I'm celebrating my 7th official Canada Day. While I've been here since 1974, I became a citizen only in 2001, after many years of procrastination. So as someone who has chosen Canadian citizenship, the national holiday carries a special significance for me.

To all my friends out there...happy Canada Day!

-------------------
Thanks to P. Widling for his photograph of the Canadian flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment