The benefits of a positive attitude

The relative quiet of a Sunday is always a good time to reflect on the week that passed and to take a look at the week ahead.

Recently, I read a quotation from the Dalai Lama that resonates with its simplicity but also with its positive nature. If there's something I think we can all aspire to, it's to be more positive. This applies especially to me. When I was younger, I seemed to naturally lean toward negativity. To some extent, I still do, but much less so, because I've been working on seeing things differently.

If you feel the world is going to hell in a handbasket, it doesn't do any good to wail and make it worse. Turn the perspective around, and at the very least you'll feel better, because by seeing the positive aspect of a situation, you're contributing to make something better, even if it's a little thing like attitude.

It helps to remember that negative thoughts also contribute to stress, and we know that stress kills.

The easiest way to inject some positivity into life, is to start out by being thankful. Look around you in the morning or in the evening and see what you can be grateful for.

Here's that quote:

“Everyday, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.”

The Dalai Lama recognizes how all things are connected and how his own outlook can affect the whole.

It's an affirmation that costs me nothing to try. And like the words of so many other sages and spiritual leaders, it could literally change my life.

Notes:
1.The Dalai Lama was quoted in Zen Habits, a web site about life balance with close to 74,000 subscribers.
2.If you'd like to read more about giving thanks, see 8 Tremendously Important Ways That Gratitude Can Change Your Life.
3. The photo is courtesy of Damien Moorehouse who made it available on the stock photo site, http://www.sxc.hu/.
-----------
>To send to a friend, click on the envelope icon.

No comments:

Post a Comment